10th IAS Conference on HIV Science | 21-24 July 2019 | Mexico City, Mexico

Visa information

Individuals travelling to Mexico City, Mexico for the 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) must possess the required documentation to enter Mexico. It is the delegate’s responsibility to investigate the visa requirements for Mexico and apply for a visa, if necessary. Delegates are strongly recommended to apply for the necessary visa as soon as possible and by 31 May 2019 at the latest.

Step 1. Do you need a visa?

Citizens from the following countries who wish to visit Mexico as tourists, in transit, for business, technical activities, as journalist or for studies, for a period not exceeding 180 days, and who will not receive any remuneration at all in Mexican territory, do not require a visa:

Andorra Argentina Australia Austria Bahamas Barbados
Belgium Belize Brazil Bulgaria Canada Chile
Colombia Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic
Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece
Hong Kong Hungary Iceland Ireland Israel Italy
Jamaica Japan Latvia Lichtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg
Macau Malaysia Malta Marshall Islands Micronesia Monaco
Netherlands New Zealand Niue Norway Palau Panama
Paraguay Peru Poland Portugal Romania San Marino
Singapore Slovakia Slovenia South Korea Spain Sweden
Switzerland Trinidad and Tobago United Kingdom United States of America Uruguay Venezuela

Mexico does not hold official diplomatic relations with Kosovo and, therefore, Mexican authorities cannot issue Mexican visas for Kosovan passports.

List of countries that do not require a visa to travel to Mexico.

List of countries that require a visa to travel to Mexico.

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid multi entry visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.

In addition, foreign visitors who, regardless of their nationality, have a valid permanent resident card from Canada, Japan, the United States of America, Colombia, Chile, Peru’, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area, do not require a Mexican visa.

Step 2. How do you get a visa?

The visa process differs from country to country. Delegates must apply for a visa at the relevant Mexican embassy or consulate according to their country of residence. If you require a visa, please consult your specific visa application process and requirements made available at the following links:

List of Mexican embassies authorized to issue visas

List of Mexican consulates authorized to issue visas

You can access the visa application form in English here

Letter of Invitation

If you require a visa, we advise you to obtain and submit an official Letter of Invitation from the conference organizers to help facilitate the visa process. Please note that Letters of Invitation are only issued to registered and paid/approved delegates. You can request a Letter of Invitation at [email protected]

IMPORTANT: If an institution/organization financially supports your travel to Mexico, it is necessary to submit a document signed with original hand signature (no electronic signature) by a representative of the institution/organization. The document must contain the following information:

  • Your name, nationality and ID number;
  • Full address and description of the organization plus contact details of your contact person in the organization;
  • Estimated duration of your stay in Mexico;
  • Information on the organization’s role in supporting your stay in Mexico.

Customs requirements

Do not forget that certain goods are illegal to bring into Mexico and others require a duty payment.

Passengers traveling with medicine for personal use are allowed to enter the country (regardless of the active component), as long as they bring their prescription or a letter from their GP in which it must state the amount of the substance required by the patient, the amount that is being brought into the country and the daily dose during their stay in Mexico. The prescription must be translated into Spanish.

At the port of entry, you must declare the medicine to the customs authorities and present the medical prescription or license issued by a competent authority. The former must state the name of the doctor authorizing the prescription, his/her signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional register. The medicine must not exceed the amount required for your stay in the country.

Contact the Immigration team

[email protected]